Share this article on

I wrote this in Part 1 with a warning we, in the UK, are not imune! - For a many months now I have been aware that when it comes to over the counter (OTC) dry eye drops in the USA things were not quite as benign as one would expect, storms have been blowing across the landscape, primarily associated with a perceived relaxed approach to regulatory over-sight of eye drop safety and claimed health benefits, this has involved more than a handful of products and manufacturers.

Rather like Pandora’s box, upon looking into the huge range of dry eye drops available it has proved to be source of great and unexpected troubles. The afore mentioned perception by some manufacturing and distributing companies has sought to exploit weaknesses in the system of consumer protection in regards to safety and, exaggerated, if not completely false, medical claims.

To continue with my meteorological analogy, just as our prevailing weather systems move from west to east, we in the UK are not completely sheltered from short-cuts in manufacture and distribution in the global supply that have manifested themselves across the pond. Read more to see regrettably how I was correct.

To continue with an update, and to reinforce just how we, here in the UK, are exposed, as I discussed in Part 1 as the USA has been.

Following an outbreak in Autumn 2023 certain eye gels, which have been found to be contaminated with Burkholderia cepacia bacteria, an antibiotic-resistant bug were withdrawn. A full report was issued in early April 2024 by the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA). it said there had been 52 confirmed cases associated with the outbreak as of March 21 (2024), some of whom had blood poisoning. The bacteria-contaminated eye gels are thought to have "contributed to the death" of one person, the health watchdog said. It provided no further details on the patient, including their age and gender.

As UKHSA explained: "The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) has now received sufficient assurance from manufacturers and suppliers to conclude that products available on the UK market are safe to use and free of contamination.

"As of 21 March 2024, UKHSA, MHRA and the Incident Management Team are satisfied that the risk associated with this outbreak has reduced such that there is no longer need to avoid use of carbomer-containing lubricating eye products.

"Therefore, the recommendation to avoid use of all carbomer-containing eye products in individuals with cystic fibrosis, patients being cared for in critical care settings, the severely immunocompromised and patients awaiting lung transplantation has been stepped down."

So it appears the lid of Pandara's box has been put back, until the next time!

As always with articles in this section emails can be sent to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 

Sources: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/health/brit-dies-superbug-outbreak-linked-32505514